Please register for my important event.
When: Sep 23, 2020 07:00 PM Eastern Time
Topic: Ending Police Violence: Building A Different World
Since April, nine Black, Indigenous or racialized people in Canada have died in interactions with police. Regis Korchinski-Paquet, Ejaz Ahmed Choudry, Chantel Moore, Rodney Levi, Stewart Kevin Andrews, Jason Collins, Eishia Hudson, Caleb Tubila Njoko and D’Andre Campbell were loved, valued and should be with us today. Most of them lived with mental health issues and were in crisis when police arrived. It is clear that protecting Black, Indigenous and racialized lives urgently requires an unprecedented and historic shift in the way we view policing and the health and safety of our communities.
This event, hosted by Toronto-Danforth MPP Peter Tabuns, will feature Black, Indigenous & Racialized voices and will explore the calls as part of the Ontario NDP’s End Police Violence: Invest in Black, Indigenous and Racialized Lives document: https://www.ontariondp.ca/end-police-violence
- Overhauling police oversight so police are truly accountable to the public and communities they serve
- Demilitarizing police forces by diverting spending on military-grade hardware, including tear gas and assault rifles, into community services
- Ending carding and destroying data collected through this unconstitutional practice
- Replacing armed police with alternative first responders for calls related to mental health, addictions, homelessness and school discipline
- Giving elected representatives the support and power to set their policing budgets and redistribute funds to community needs
- Investing heavily in programs and supports that improve quality of life and community wellbeing through an anti-racist, anti-oppression framework – like education, housing, youth programs and mental health support